Thursday, December 31, 2009

Y2K? Y2 Lame...

Do you remember what you were doing 10 years ago? Remember all the hype? All the planes were going to fall out of the sky, there was going to be blackouts, people were buying bottled water like crazy,we were all going to be stranded in elevators and everyone's computer was going to crash. Well, many us our still here and nothing happened because of Y2K. By the way, what was so hard about saying 2000 instead of Y2K? Another dumb abbreviation. Alas, like my friend Sandy, I digress. :)
After the 9/11 attack, people in New York and other major cities were afraid to go to the movies, go shopping, ride public transit, and even to step across their front door. While we did have a major blackout, and the attacks gave more people reason to be afraid, most of the fears were unfounded. It seems like every few years, the media finds some new thing to over hype, and to install what I call a controlled panic, in everyone. About 5 years ago it was SARS. This year it was H1N1. And also this year, although I'm sure it will increase as the time draws nearer, is the 2012 conspiracy. This is when the world is supposed to end, boys and girls. The end of the Mayan calender. Doom and Gloom. Death and Destruction. The End of Everything. The Boogie Man is coming. Hubba hubba hubba, who can you trust?
Yourself and your loved ones. Make up your own mind when you are observing the news. Believe in yourself and your own instincts. Don't believe everything you hear. All this crap brings negativity into your life and makes you stress out and worry for no reason. Believe in yourself, your family and friends and in love. We will all still be here enjoying our lives, despite the hype. And with that, here's a couple of great songs that make me feel good, and it's what life should be all about. I want to wish everyone a safe, happy and loving New Year.


6 comments:

  1. Yeah, thanks Tony ... cheeky ... true, but cheeky.

    I'm with you. The media is just out to sell whatever ... fear mostly.

    Have a fabulous New Year ... here's to an amazing 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you SO made my day with this post! We need more voices of reason.

    My theory that the media will only give us one major thing to worry about at a time, and then when the panic of it subsides they'll try to instill mass-panic with something new.

    Acid rain
    Global warming
    AIDS
    Mad cow
    Avian flu
    Swine flu
    Anthrax
    SARS
    Bin Laden
    Terrorism
    etc., etc.

    I love your Canadian band vids. And when the FUCK is Boy's Brigade going to be released on CD? I'd sell my grandmother for a copy.

    Anyway. Great post, great writing.

    Happy New Year to you and The Lovely One!!

    B
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two. Heehee, sorry Sandy (xxoo) couldn't resist the little jab there. When I was writing this, it reminded me of your blog.
    This whole concept of being overly worried and panic was bothering me for awhile, so this is my purge of all the media crap and to be rid of the bad feelings and anxiety. The videos make me feel good and fill me with good memories and thoughts and it's a good way to end things with a good feeling. And it's good to share music that we might not have heard for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this is so true. Every year there is always something to scare the public. I still remember a few years ago when my friend's parents actually ex-communicated themselves from the public for a couple months because they were so scared of the bird flu. Seriously. It's a little alarming when people fall prey to these ridiculous fears.
    If the world ends in 2012...it will end. No use in freaking out. Haha.

    Love your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine! Any friend of Barry & Sandy's is a friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony,

    You are so beautiful
    To me.
    You are so beautiful
    To me.
    Can't you see?
    You're everything I hoped for
    Blah blah blah...

    Heh heh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Barry (Bartholomew)- Thanks.....I think :(

    ReplyDelete